Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Law of Process

"Leadership develops daily, not in a day."

Mike Wolford, Save-A-Lot District manager was the school board President who hired me to be the Administrator of Otsego Christian School. He was the first person to teach me this valuable truth of leadership.

"You must make deposits in people's love bank if you are going to write checks."
In other words if you are going to get the people to do things they don't want to do, you have to do things to show the people that you love them and that you are a good person and trustworthy. If you have $1.47 in the person's bank and try to write a $50 check, you are in for late fees, penalties and frustration.
I'll never forget the time when the kindergarten teacher (queen bee) brought the 4th grade teacher into my office in the middle of the year and told me in no uncertain terms that the 4th grade teacher was no longer going to teach the history program I had selected for 4th grade.

Another time she pulled me aside and told me that she was not going to enforce the dress code that I had set because her pastor had told them that dress was a matter of personal liberty.

I had no influence in the school, being my first year there, and being that I was younger than all the teachers. She had been there the longest and was the oldest. I learned a valuable, painful lesson from that battle axe- The Law of process. People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. Take this to the bank.

No comments: