Friday, December 25, 2009

Bah Hum-bug

How about a post on the pagan origin of Christmas and how it should have no part in a church?

Or is it ok to take pagan holidays and baptize them, jump down turn around pick a bale of cotton...and call it Christian? Or Advent.

I hear so many people talk about the "true meaning" of Christmas and it is often on a Christmas card of their kid opening presents in front of the X-mas tree. I am doubting the kid is getting the true meaning, even if you do make a cake and sing happy birthday to Jesus.

One lady on the radio called in to share how she is "being intentional" this year for Christmas by using last year's decorations.

This is what I think: All the people who think they can combine "the true meaning of Christmas" with the rampant covetousness training are confused at best and at worst making a golden calf, calling it god and calling for everyone to dance, sing, and worship.

everyone wants to keep the CHRIST in CHRISTmas, but so little is said about THE MASS.

Christ MASS. I wonder what that word means?

Merry X-mas and Happy Holidays everyone.

3 comments:

Craig Heinrich said...

The Christian "holy day" known as Christmas is inarguably an abominable exercise in worldliness. Its origins are a 4th century seeker sensitive church program to lure people of other religions. But is it more profitable to preach against worldliness or to preach Christ.
To rely on the facts in the article linked in your blog, you must also question your belief in Sunday worship, the virgin birth, the trinity, and the pre-existence and deity of Christ. All these are attributed to pagan origin by the author.
My contention is that with many people in the pews at Christmas that aren't normally there, just as with funerals, isn't it a great opportunity to preach Christ. Does marketing in Christ's name offend me? Yes. Am I guilty of over-indulgence? Yes. Am I guilty of many, many sins since December 25? Yes. The flesh is weak. I plead Christ and leave my sin at His feet.

Joe VonDoloski said...

You bring up some good questions brother. From the sound of it, I maybe shouldn't have linked to the article. Thanks for the fact check. I struggle with some of the questions you pose Craig.

Craig Heinrich said...

I wrestled with the foolishness Christmas brings for 24 days in December. By Christmas I was too tired to fight with myself anymore.
Good to see you blogging more frequently again.