Tuesday, April 08, 2008

What do you sell the Son for?

Some weeks after having arrived in town to become the pastor of a local church, the man had an occasion to ride the bus from his home to the downtown area. When he sat down, he discovered that the driver had accidentally given him a quarter too much change.
As he considered what to do, he thought to himself, 'You' d better give the quarter back. It would be wrong to keep it.'
Then he thought, 'Oh, forget it, it's only a quarter. Who would worry about this little amount? Bus company charge too much anyway. Accept it as 'a gift from God' and keep quiet.'

When his stop came, he paused momentarily at the door, then he handed the quarter to the driver and said, 'Here, you gave me too much change.'The driver, with a smile, replied,

'Aren't you the new preacher in town? I have been thinking a lot lately about going somewhere to church. I just wanted to see what you would do if I gave you too much change. I'll see you at church on Sunday.'

When the preacher stepped off of the bus, he literally grabbed the nearest light pole, held on, and said, 'Oh God, I almost sold your Son for a quarter.'

No comments: