Wednesday, February 27, 2008

True Worship

Sunday School 10:00
Worship Service 11:00

We see this all over the place. On church signs and cards, bulletins and newspaper ads. So what is this worship that takes place on Sundays from 11-12. (anything past 12 ceases to be worship and becomes a long winded preacher full of himself and loving the captive audience.)

When I try to wrap my mind around subjects such as this, I usually start by looking at what worship is NOT, and then looking at what attempts at worship God rejects and why he rejects it and perhaps most importantly, how do I/we make the same errors in our worship so that God would rather have us just cease and desist.

The examples are numerous throughout the Bible of men attempting to worship God and God sending fire to consume them or leprosy or some form of curse to let them know as he says in Leviticus 10:3 "By those who come near Me I must be regarded as holy; And before all the people I must be glorified."

Churches and especially pastors are always trying to create worship. Worship teams, Praise leaders, praise and worship services are all the rage now. So does singing worthy, scriptural songs like Holy, Holy, Holy and preaching messages on glorifying God alone fulfill what God requires from us in worship? I would submit that IT MAY but just as easily it may not. Any "formula" for worship is just a formula. We cannot produce worship or a worshipping people.
Assaulting true worship is pride. Pride is the antithesis to glorifying God. Going through motions of worship is not worship. We honor with our lips but my HEART is not moved by what I am saying. This then becomes mocking God rather than worshipping Him. Not savoring and loving and cherishing and being filled with the wonder of God's holiness is really an attitude of unthankfulness and being consumed with self, this prevents true worship.

Lord, teach me to worship you in spirit and in truth. That others may see my good works and not praise me but glorify my Father in heaven.

No comments: