Wednesday, December 13, 2006

My Philosophy of Homeschooling


Hi my name is Joe, and I am a homeschooling parent.

I choose to homeschool my children for several reasons. I thought I would make some comments as to why.

First of all, the Scriptures teach that we are to train up our children in the way that they should go so that when they are old they will not depart from it. Parent's are responsible biblically to train their own children. This training can take various forms, but regardless of which method you choose, the responsibility is laid at the feet of the parents.

Secondly, my wife is able to do a good job of homeschooling. I have seen homeschooling abused. The primary way in which this abuse occurs is in the form of, "we had a lot to do today so we didn't get to school today." For a proper education to take place there has GOT to be consistency and diligence in the education. For a child to learn, there has to be repetition and review. My wife is great about placing school near the top of the list. In the classroom setting, many students are held back from excelling and many are passed by.

Thirdly, I cannot agree with the philosophy of the government school system. I have friends and family who teach public school. I appreciate their efforts and believe they are doing a great service and ministry. As Christians, we are called to be salt in the earth. The world is rotting like bad meat and if there is no salt, it will only rot faster. My prayers are with those who fight this battle. But for me personally, I cannot surrender the minds of my children, for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 9 months a year to a system which prohibits the absolute truths of Scripture to be the guiding force in their attempt to teach and train and disseminate what a child should believe and how they are to think. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. If the Bible is accurate with that statement, how can an institution of learning disseminate knowledge when there is no fear of God before their eyes? The fool has said in his heart there is no God.

Lastly, My wife accomplishes in two hours what it takes a school to do in eight. I would place my child's education against any five public school children of the same age and guarantee she would not only compete but excel. Of course it would be difficult to test the two as I doubt the public school children would compete with my daughter in the Scripture memorization category and catechism recital.

I was a university trained educator so I know of what I speak. I was a Christian school Administrator and teacher for seven years so I am not ignorant of the issues. I have made the study of education a focal point of my life. I have come to the conclusion that for my family, homeschooling far exceeds the alternatives. That is not to say it is right for your family. Let every man be fully convinced in his own mind. I do not have to give an account to God for how you educate your children.

No comments: